FOM: Bob, Alice and number three

Manolo Martinez schiphol at eudoramail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:27:25 EDT 2002

Dean, what I tried to state in my last e-mail is that, while you are possibly right in your claim that you can analyze the common-talk sentence  'There are three things' without accepting the existence of numbers, it is much more difficult to do so with the as-common-as-can-be sentence 'Three times two is six'

People use sentences like this all the time. Of course, you can refrain from using them, but then, maybe, you'll have to end up refraining from doing even the simplest of maths.

Cheers,
Manolo

"Do you think you can fit the electric piano in there?"
"But of course, this room is three meters long and two meters wide"