FOM: Re: Kreisel's Realism

William Tait wwtx at uchicago.edu
Thu May 10 12:01:05 EDT 2001

At 2:18 PM +1000 5/10/01, A.P. Hazen wrote:
>    (Origin of Kreisel dictum: the issue is one of the objectivity of
>mathematical knowledge, not the existence of mathematical objects.)
>    Dummett, in the preface to "Truth and  Other Enigmas," attributes it to
>Kreisel "in a review of Wittgenstein."  My recollection is that some years
>ago several of my friends tried, unsuccessfully, to find the exact source,
>and took to calling it "a dictum often attributed to Kreisel."
>--
>Allen Hazen
>Philosophy Department
>University of Melbourne

Kreisel wrote a review of the first edition of Wittgenstein's
*Remarks on the Foundations of Mathem atics*. It appeared in the
British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Vol IX, No. 34 (1958).

I should say that I looked quickly---very quickly---through the
review (I happen to have a copy of it) and didn't find such a remark.

Best to all,

Bill