FOM: Kreisel's realism

William Tait wwtx at uchicago.edu
Tue May 8 18:14:57 EDT 2001

Aladair,

I have not asked Putnam, but his paper was first published in 1975
and my guess is that he is referring to the remark in the Saaty paper.

Kreisel's remark may not intend to reject the sui generis character
of mathematical objects, but rather to affirm that their objectivity
derives from the objectivity of discourse about them. Anyway, that
would be a sensible thing to say---which is, of course, no guarentee
that it is what Kreisel meant.

Bill