FOM: RE: Chaitin

Hrant Marandjian hrant at arm.hpl.com
Fri Mar 30 00:13:13 EST 2001

On 28 Mar 01,  Raatikainen Panu A K wrote:

> RE: OK, I surrender;  I can only say that the standard proofs of
> Chaitin's theorem have made some soundness assumptions. (I
> don't know if I really followed Harvey's ingenious proof - I'll have to
> reflect it for some time. But I have no reason to doubt it.)
> - one question: does this proof provide an effective upper bound for
> c ?

It is possible to prove more strong proposition that is true not only for
proofs in the theories under discussion but also for any algorithmic method
of generating true assertions of the form K(n)>c and answers  Panu
Raatikainen's
question:

THEOREM. There exists such a total recursive function f that
for any recursively enumerable set W_m of pairs <a,b> such
that K(a) > b, for any x no pair <x,f(m)> belongs to W_m.

Hence, if W_m is the set of pairs <a,b> corresponding to provable assertions

of the form K(a) > b in a consistent theory T enabling one to enumerate
recursively such pairs, then thisi theorem gives the constant C under
question.

This theorem is an evident consequence of the result
available in English from:

H.B.Marandjian, (misspelled as G. B. Marand\v{z}jan)
On algorithms of minimal complexity,
Soviet. Math. Docl., 1973, v.14, No.6,1797--1799.

Hrant B.Marandjian
Prof.,
Research Dept.
HPL Armenia