FOM: What Is Computing bibliography

Steve Stevenson steve at cs.clemson.edu
Wed Aug 1 09:07:46 EDT 2001

My thanks to all who responded to my question about the foundations of
computing. Here is a bibtex file with the answers.

best regards,
steve

@Book{rogers67:_recur_funct_effec_comput,
  author =	 {Hartley Rogers},
  title = 	 {Recursive Functions and Effective Computability},
  publisher = 	 {McGraw-Hill},
  year = 	 1967,
  note =	 {Chapters 1--3}
}

@Book{heinz-otto92:_chaos_fract,
  author =	 {Heinz-Otto Peitgen, Dietmar Saupe, H. {Jurgens
                  (Contributor)}, L. {Yunker (Contributor)}},
  title = 	 {Chaos and Fractals : New Frontiers of Science},
  publisher = 	 {Springer},
  year = 	 1992,
  note =	 {First Half}
}

@Book{davis94:_comput_compl_languag,
  author =	 {Martin Davis and Ron Sigal and Elaine Weyuker},
  title = 	 {Computability, Complexity, and Languages :
                  Fundamentals of Theoretical Computer Science},
  publisher = 	 {Academic Press},
  year = 	 1994,
  series =	 {Computer Science and Applied Mathematics},
  note =	 {Chapters 1--4}
}

@InCollection{davis78:_what_comput,
  author = 	 {Martin Davis},
  title = 	 {What is a Computation?},
  booktitle = 	 {Mathematics Today: Twelve Informal Essays},
  pages =	 {241--267},
  publisher =	 {Springer-Verlag},
  year =	 1978,
  editor =	 {L. A. Steen}
}

@Book{schoenfield93:_recur_theor,
  author =	 {Joseph Schoenfield},
  title = 	 {Recursion Theory},
  publisher = 	 {Springer},
  year = 	 1993,
  series =	 {Lecture Notes in Logic}
}

%I have always wondered if there is any taker of the idea that computation is
%essentially a proof by Intuitionistic logic with/without(?) countable
%choice. That is to say that if I have a proof that there is a fixed point
%for certain function in Intuitionistic Logic then I can compute it.