FOM: logical vs mathematical

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sun Sep 10 14:29:04 EDT 2000

The issue of in what sense higher order logic can reasonably be considered
as "logical" while set theory must be regarded as "mathematical" has come
up in exchanges between Harvey Friedman and Joe Shipman. Quine addressed
this (I think in a conference paper in 1960). He pointed out that the
theorems of what he called SOL (by which he meant the standard at that time
deductive systems studied by Hilbert-Ackermann and Church) divide neatly
into two classes: those that depend on comprehension and those that follow
just from the first order deductive rules. He proposed that only the
theorems of the second class should be considered logical since those of
the first, in their intended interpretation, have ontological presuppositions.

I was convinced and have taken that position ever since.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU