FOM: determinate truth values, coherent pragmatism

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue Sep 5 02:15:35 EDT 2000

At 08:31 PM 9/4/00 -0400, Harvey Friedman wrote:
>Reply to Davis 1:43PM 9/4/00:

>I, personally, am not comfortable with any notion of "determinate" that is
>independent of any specification of how one can, even theoretically,
>determine. That doesn't mean that I reject the concept out of hand. It just
>means that I think the concept needs clarification.

In the natural sciences, the means for determining the truth of specific
propositions is often available long after the proposition itself arises.
Your position is reminiscent of the failed positivist program that sought
to equate meaning of empirical propositions with the availability of means,
at least in principle, of verifying them. The world we live in and the
world of mathematics are both vast complex entities in which we with our
finite minds can make only modest inroads. But to identify what is out
there with what we are able to ascertain (even in principle) is entirely
unjustufied.

Anyhow, in the cases we are discussing, Goedel already did indicate how one
could "theoretically" hope to determine. By deducing from new axioms for
the adoption of which there are compelling reasons. See the work of Harvey
Friedman. And of course there's the famous example of Projective
Determinacy and descriptive set theory.

> >I find myself optimistic about the direction of Woodin's
> >recent work on CH. At last an effort is being made to get around the
> >plethora of models of set theory the forcing method made it possible to
> >produce which seemed to make progress on CH impossible. I agree that at
> >this preliminary stage my optimism is hardly warranted by the facts. But so
> >be it.
>
>I view Woodin's and related programs by the set theorists as serious
>attempts to argue for new axioms for set theorists along the lines of
>convenience and usefulness. In a way, it promises to be somewhat similar to
>the process that I described in my previous e-mail for the adoption of new
>axioms by the mathematical community. Only it is aimed at the set theory
>community. It is not aimed at the general math logic community or the math
>community, neither of which is likely to find such things either convenient
>or useful.

Today.

> >>Actually, one should ask: generally accepted by who? I take it that you
> >>mean "the mathematical community." Then I will bet against you very
> >>strongly.
> >
> >Yes that's what I mean. Think how much it has changed over the past twenty
> >years. And your own work will probably do more than anything else to lead
> >them to accept methods going beyond ZFC.
>
>The principal relevant change in the mathematics community is the
>intensification of the move away from set theoretic problems or problems
>with any nontrivial set theoretic content - that started in earnest in the
>1960's - and towards concrete mathematics.

And intellectual trends never reverse themselves? I didn't claim the change
was in the direction I was talking about. Only that any static snapshot of
that kind gives no reliable evidence concerning future developments.

> >I agree: no "self evident" principles. I believe (and again your own work
> >will play a key role) that mathematicians will become comfortable with the
> >view that they must work with principles that are not "self evident".
>
>Only because they have so much to gain by the acceptance of new axioms for
>what they regard as normal mathematics. They are not going to entertain new
>axioms for the purposes of abnormal mathematics.

As I said, they will only accept them if convinced that they give reliable
results. And once accepted, they will naturally also accept other
consequences of these axioms even if they lie in what you call "abnormal"
mathematics and even if these consequences are remote from their interests.

> >As you know very well, the existence of non constructible sets is implied
> >by large cardinal axioms (specifically the existence of measurable
> >cardinals). Now there is nothing self evident about these axioms. But the
> >way in which they line up in linear order with respect to various criteria
> >suggests very strongly that they are true.
>
>This way of using "true" in this manner is utterly foreign to the general
>mathematical community. They will take an entirely pragmatic position.

And they may be wrong. Emil Post said that Goedel's work "must inevitably
result in at least partial reversal of the entire axiomatic trend of the
late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, with a return to meaning and
truth as being of the essence of mathematics."  The question of how to
regard the large cardinal hierarchy forces the issue. Using words like
"useful" or "convenient" or "pragmatic" just dodges the issue. What reason
is there for believing that the combinatorial consequences you draw from
these axioms are correct except that the axioms are in some sense true.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU