FOM: Re: Goedel: truth and misinterpretations

Jeffrey Ketland ketland at ketland.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 23:27:14 EDT 2000

Here's a summary:

Ketland:
> 5. Does mathematical truth mean "having a mathematical proof"? (Kanovei)
> Obviously NOT. The truth set for (|N, 0, s, +, x) is not axiomatizable.
This
> was discovered by Kurt Goedel in 1930. N.B. The definition (v) of truth
(for
> sentences of the lang of set theory) above makes no mention of *proof*.

Kanovei:
>This is probably the most splendid misinterpretation of any
>mathematical result, that persists 70 years in discussions
>between clones of philosophers (and mathematicians, and, shamefully,
>logicians, too).
>Goedel proved (in a very weak fragment of ZFC, essentially, in PA)
>that for any theory T of certain kind, if Cons T then there is an
>arithmetical statement A such that neither Prov_T A nor Prov_T (not-A),
>where Cons and Prov express the consistency and provability (in T).
>Then Ketland notes: gee, either A or not-A is true, hence, there is
>something true but not provable.

A splendid misinterpretation!

Start again. Using standard methods, we define (in ZFC or Z_2 say) an
adequate truth predicate for arithmetic. OK? (Forget a truth predicate for
lang of set theory - sure, we need a theory of classes like MK or a
primitive satisfaction predicate). The following sentences are then
*theorems* of ZFC and of Z_2 (second-order arithmetic) as well:

(1) For any sound recursively axiomatized formal system F, there are true
sentences of arithmetic not provable in F.

(2) The set of arithmetic truths is not r.e.

By *Kanovei's criteria* (provability in ZFC), (1) and (2) must be
mathematical
facts. But these mathematical facts contradict his *philosophical* position!
(Since the deductive closure of a formula system is r.e., i.e., Sigma_1).

On my own realist view, they are facts too: unless something extremely weird
happens to the evolution of human ideas, they will be as widely accepted by
the mathematical community in a billion years, as they are today. Just like
the irrationality of the square root of 2. Mathematical truth is NOT the
same as provability in a formal system.

I would argue that these mathematical discoveries by Goedel and Tarski point
strongly in the following philosophical direction. Statements can be true
without an "observer" or a proof. If it weren't for some very spooky facts
about the measurement problem in quantum theory, I would feel secure in
saying that reality doesn't pop into existence when you "observe" it or
prove that something is the case.

Question for Kanovei (or anyone else): do you think that the standard
definition of the truth set for (|N, 0, s, +, x) doesn't make sense?

(Because this set CANNOT be the deductive closure of ANY (consistent) formal
system).

Furthermore, I am not unique in my misinterpretations: E.g.,