FOM: standard framework

Kanovei kanovei at wmwap1.math.uni-wuppertal.de
Mon Oct 2 15:49:11 EDT 2000

> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:00:30 +0800
> From: Allen Hazen <a.hazen at philosophy.unimelb.edu.au>

> My impression, for what it is worth-- I'm too young to have
> first-hand knowledge-- is that ZF-style set theory only became the STANDA=
> RD
> framework for workers in foundations after the Second World War
> --

Hausdorff's "Grundzuege" (1914) and "Mengenlehre" (1928),
let alone numerous articles on
foundations (set theory and topology) in 20s and 30s
(see, e.g., "Fundamenta"),
were written in full accordance with a moderate
restriction of Cantorian set theory, that was axiomatized as ZFC
in 20s, and in rather complete ignorance of type theory.
On the contrary, provists and philosophers liked Type Theory
(I guess perhaps because it has a mathematically well defined model
which full set theory cannot have by Godel.)

V.Kanovei