FOM: Russell quotation

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Nov 22 13:45:19 EST 2000

The Russell quotation is from his introduction to
Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus.
It occurs on pp. 17-18 of the original English edition,
and reads:

We here touch one instance of Wittgenstein's fundamental
thesis, that it is impossible to say anything about the
world as a whole, and that whatever can be said has to be about
bounded portions of the world.  This view may have been originally
suggested by notation, and if so, that is much in its favour,
for a good notation has a subtlety and suggestiveness which
at times makes it seem almost like a live teacher.

I owe the reference to Dr Kenneth Blackwell, who found the answer
to the query by consulting the archives of the Russell-l
mailing list.  The reference was originally located by
David Shier of Washington State Unversity.

Alasdair Urquhart