FOM: Goedel: truth and misinterpretations

V. Sazonov V.Sazonov at doc.mmu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 10:35:03 EST 2000

Torkel Franzen wrote:

> V.Sazonov says, with reference to
>
>     (1) Even if ZFC is in fact consistent, it seems that most likely
>         no argument proving this to everybody's satisfaction will
>         ever be found.
>
>    >Will you confirm, please, that we both understand this (1)
>    >(which is strongly different from the former (1) about TRUTH)
>    >in the same "physical" way, as I explained above.
>
>   Naturally, if ZFC is consistent, no inconsistency will in fact be
> found.

It is your and may be my personal believe. (However, I would be
happy if a contradiction will be found in ZFC or even in PA;
this would be a good lesson for all of us!). Our beliefs have
no direct relation to scientific knowledge. At least they have
a very specific status in discovering a knowledge. This is
something from our kitchens hardly having a general value.
Do you always show everything happening in your kitchen to your
guests? Also, science is not getting a consensus or agreement
between peoples (is f = m*a believable, or whether everybody
agree to adopt this law?).

> But the statement "ZFC is consistent" in (1) is not a statement
> about any physical events or possibilities, but is the mathematical
> statement that no inconsistency exists.

I do not understand what does it ever mean.
If you mean arithmetical formula Con[ZFC], then I could
only repeat that I cannot (i.e. have no idea how) seriously
discuss its TRUTH or FALSITY, if not from the point of view
of provability. I understand that this formula can be provable
in some other theory as Con[PA] is provable in ZFC. What could
you say of SCIENTIFIC character (desirably something new) about
the formula Con[ZFC]?

> Such a use of mathematical
> statements

Do you mean considering them as believably TRUE
(with the mysterious for me meaning of "TRUE")?

> is, as we know, unacceptable from a strongly antirealistic
> point of view, such as expounded by you

My point of view may be exactly characterized as realistic
one in the proper meaning of this word. (Cf. e.g. my treatment
of (1) I gave in the posting to which you reply.) The
philosophical term "realism", however having some history and
noble [I am not sure in my English here] philosophical roots,
seems to me extremely suspicious and ambiguous.

> or by Wittgenstein. If you're
> interested in any further exposition of this from my point of view, I
> suggest that you look at my "Provability and truth", which is
> available online.

I will take a look.

However, it is very pity that we did not agree on very simple
realistic meaning of (1) I suggested. You also actually did not
present your meaning of (1). Now I am full of pessimism.
Do you really hope, that without giving us even a very preliminary
idea only your "Provability and truth" will help?

Vladimir Sazonov