FOM: distributive law

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 24 15:26:57 EDT 2000

My tame history of maths person here says:

	From p.bursill-hall at dpmms.cam.ac.uk Wed May 24 12:35:19 2000
	Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:35:47 +0100
	To: Thomas Forster <T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
	From: Piers Bursill-Hall <P.Bursill-Hall at dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
	Subject: Re: query

	>         How were algebraic manipulations justified (say by 16th century
	>         algebraists) before the formalization of `Tarski's high school
	> identities'
	>         in the late 19th century by Boole, Peano etc. ?
	>
	>         Specifically, I am wondering if the distributive law was explicitly
	>         cited.

	Well, the distributive law (in geometric form, of course) is in Euclid's
	Elements book II.

	Algebra, in a reasonably modern sense of the term (say, something like the
	abstract science of equations) emerges in the late 16th century; there is
	no clear moment when one can say "this person is clearly doing algebra" ..
	but I think an historically sensitive argument can be made for the latter
	16th century.  Bombelli and Buonasoni are the sorts of persons in whom we
	see this, although one could go back so far as Cardano or so late as Vieta
	(even Descartes, if you want).  Before that we have things that are easily
	translated into algebra, but are just generalised numerical equation
	manipulation, or the rules for generalised numerical equation manipulation
	(Al-Khowarizmi, in the 9th century, or Chuquet and Pacioli at the end of
	the 15th century are good examples of this).

	Algebraic manipulations were not, as such, justified.  There was no
	mathematically reasonable "foundation" (in a modern sense) to algebra until
	the 19th century.  Rather, what we see as algebra (abstract or generalised
	study of equations) was just the extended and natural generalisation of
	arithmetic manipulations; so the 'justification' of algebra was that it was
	doing to things - letters - what one can do to numbers.

	Rules of algebra, like algorithms, were sometimes 'proved' by demonstrating
	their geometric analogues.  The most pretty example of this is
	Al_Khowarizmi's justification of the quadratic formula, which is an obtuse
	(for the 9th century) piece of geometric reasoning .. that does show a case
	of the general quadratic formula in a geometrical language.

	Late in the 16th century there was a growing sense of a 'mutual assistance
	society' between algebra and geometry, and the likes of Bombelli and others
	sometimes used geometric arguments to justify algebraic results.  Most
	significant, because their texts of Euclid were corrupt, they read the
	definitions of Book V (esp. 3,4,5) in a completely un-Greek way, and this
	allowed them to equate (in effect) geometric proportions and ratios with
	what we call fractions and equations; thus a:b::c:d ["a and b enjoy a
	relationship in size that is of the same kind and amount as that enjoyed
	between c and d" ] came to be conceived of as the algebraic statement a/b =
	c/d, which is NOT what the greeks meant!

	The lack of any more solid foundation to algebra beyond arithmetic and
	occasional geometric analogies began to bother a few mathematicians in the
	latter 18th century, but despite a certain amount of chatter about the
	problem, it was not clear just how one might 'justify' algebra beyond
	arithmetic.  It wasn't a crucial problem until the constraints of
	arithmetic were broken in the mid 19th century, of course.

	hope this helps

	piers

	Piers Bursill-Hall
	Department of Pure Mathematics