FOM: Alternative foundations for mathematics

Jesse A. Alama alamaja at mrs.umn.edu
Fri Jun 16 11:41:08 EDT 2000

Often times when people talk about "foundations of mathematics", they
mean "set theory and its extensions".  I'm particularly interested in
finding out more on "alternative" foundations for mathematics, by
which I mean programs which do not intrinsically hinge upon set
theory (e.g., ZF).  In particular, I am familiar with illative combinatory
logic (the development of which, Curry thought, would provide an
alternative foundation for mathematics); but what other directions are
researchers in foundations taking besides set-theoretical ones?

Warm regards,

Jesse Alama
University of Minnesota, Morris
alamaja at mrs.umn.edu