FOM: weak realism, bivalence, and Godel

holmes@catseye.idbsu.edu holmes at catseye.idbsu.edu
Wed Jun 14 12:18:22 EDT 2000

Dear FOMers,

I think that realism and a commitment to intuitionistic logic are
compatible (I can imagine such a view, though I do not hold it).

So I agree that "bivalence" can be viewed as a separate issue from
ontology.

But I find the attempt to construe Godel as a "weak realist" of this
kind quite incredible.  It is very clear from his essay on the continuum
problem (and even from the excerpts exhibited on the list) that he was
a realist in the strong sense that mathematical propositions, whether
we know how to decide them or not, are either true or false.

				   --Randall Holmes