FOM: question for DMNNA panel

Dave Marker marker at math.uic.edu
Mon Jun 12 11:12:07 EDT 2000

I found the "Does Mathematics Need New Axioms" panel discussion in Urbana
was quite interesting and thought that all of the panelists did a great
job explaining their positions in the limited time available.

While the discussion focused on set theoretic (in particular large
cardinal) axioms, elsewhere at the meeting Avi Widgerson discussed
the consequences of the "multiplication is hard axiom". While this
is an assertion of a very different flavor, it has been
enthusiasticly embraced and all of us rely on it to an extent that it
would now have dire consequences if it were false.

I would be interested in hearing the panel's comments on this.

Dave Marker