FOM: attitudes of core mathematicians and applied modeltheoriststoward f.o.m.

Steve Stevenson steve at cs.clemson.edu
Fri Jan 28 14:22:32 EST 2000

Mark Steiner writes:
 > My own view is that in doing any kind of foundational research into
 > science or mathematics, we should look into what the practitioners DO,
 > not what they SAY they do.

I agree. But most seem to be very hard to pin down. It's my belief
that more people would be at least neutral if not positive about math
if we took more time to explain the why of mathematics and not just
bury them in theorems they can't apply. It's almost like any
appearance of thinking introspectively and their professional association
card will be torn up.

Best regards,

steve
-----
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           Assoc Prof
Department of Computer Science, Clemson,   (864)656-5880.mabell
Support V&V mailing list: ivandv at cs.clemson.edu