FOM: attitudes of core mathematicians and applied model theoriststoward f.o.m. (fwd)

Graham Solomon gsolomon at wlu.ca
Thu Jan 27 14:21:15 EST 2000

Steve Stevenson wrote:

> Mark:
> 	This is wonderful information for me. I'm in the process of
> trying to develop "guidelines" for validating these large scientific
> simulations. I'm trying to find and read the "scientific explanation"
> literature. It keeps referring to Hempel and Oppenheimer in '48 as the
> start point.
>
> 	Any hints?

You might find Wesley C. Salmon's, _Four Decades of Scientific
Explanation_ (University of Minnesota Press, 1990) useful. It's a survey
of the literature on 'scientific explanation' from Hempel and Oppenheim
on, written by a well known philosopher of science who has devoted much of
his career to the topic.

Graham Solomon
Philosophy Dept
Wilfrid Laurier University