FOM: Godel, f.o.m.

Steve Stevenson steve at
Mon Jan 24 07:46:15 EST 2000

 Vladimir Sazonov writes:
  > <Snip Matt Insall's Comment>
  > Here is not so much of contradiction because mathematics is just
  > a kind of formal engineering. In a sense, computers as some
  > (physically realized) formal systems belong to mathematics.

 James Fetzer has a really great article on this particular view of
 computing. The gist of his article (please read it for all the other
 things) is what I have termed the Fetzer boundary. There is a point at
 which computing is no longer mathematics because it is no longer

 The formal thing is also quite a widely viewed version of
 computing. Allen Newell's and Herbert Simon's 1975 Turing award lecture
 was specfically to this point.

   author =       {James H. Fetzer},
   title =        {Program Verification: the very idea},
   journal =      {CACM},
   volume =       31,
   number =       9,
   year =         1988

   author =       {Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon},
   title =        {Computer Science as Empirical Inquiry: Symbols and Search},
   journal =      {Comm. ACM},
   year =         1976,
   volume =       19,
   number =       3,