FOM: Philosophy and platonism

Michael Zeleny zeleny at math.ucla.edu
Sun Jan 23 16:06:22 EST 2000

Martin Davis wrote:

> Foundational issues reach the consciousness of mathematicians when
> they have impact on mathematical practice. (And I firmly believe
> that for work on these issues to have importance, they need to be
> focused in just this manner.) Historical examples could easily be
> given.

As Gottlob Frege has taught us, logic is a branch of ethics.  We may
therefore imagine, mutatis mutandis, Bill Clinton correctly observing
that ethical issues reach the consciousness of politicians when they
have impact on political practice, and concluding with an expression
of his firm belief, by parity of reason, that for work on these issues
to have importance, they need to be focused in just this manner.  Thus
we conclusively establish the primacy of utility over truth.

cordially
Mikhail Zeleny at math.ucla.edu
All of old.  Nothing else ever.  Ever tried.  Ever failed.  No matter.
Try again.  Fail again.  Fail better.               -- Samuel Beckett