FOM: Kazhdan, f.o.m.

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jan 17 13:59:24 EST 2000

Reply to Steiner 5:33PM 1/17/00. I think the discussion of Kazhdan's talk
is winding down somewhat, and we are moving towards more general issues. I
intend to listen to their talks on the web in the near future. We've got to
get them to fix the link to Macpherson's talk.

>...His [Kazhdan's] view on your program of proving that "short" theorems
>can be decided is that long statements can be shortened by definitions
>(accompanied by intuition), and thus "short" statements are subject to
>Goedel's theorem.  So your program would not shed light on what is
>bothering him.  (I am reporting a conversation, not endorsing the view.
>As I said, I did not mention your name in this conversation, for fear of
>misrepresentation.  However, I did send him the issue of f.o.m. with one
>of your propositions concerning length.

A part of the relevant program of mine is to show that every short sentence
*in primitive notation* in certain principal formal systems can be
decidable in those formal systems. An extreme extrapolation of this is to
prove such a result with abbreviations allowed - incomparably more
difficult, but perhaps not entirely impossible. There are other aspects of
this program concerning the canonical nature of certain principal formal
systems.

When I formulated this program, I did not really have the expectation of
entirely getting around the Godel incompleteness phenomena by saying
something like "well, all short statements in the language of ZFC with
abbreviation power (I call this practical ZFC) can be decided in ZFC."

I want to remind readers of this exchange that you brought this matter of
the decidability of short statements up with Kazhdan - while I was safely
in Ohio.

Of course, this program is valuable even if it does not entirely get around
the Godel incompleteness phenomena. In fact, I don't think for a moment
that one can get entirely get around the Godel incompleteness phenomena in
the sense that, perhaps, Kazhdan would like to.

But I think that something important has to be added to what you say that
Kazhdan said. The fact that long statements can be shortened by definitions
(abbreviation power) is not relevant here unless the hierarchy of
definitions is also short.

This leads to the following question. Take, say, PA or ZFC. Find an
impressively small presentation of a statement that cannot be decided,
where that presentation allows abbreviations. Just how small?

>> the threat that some statements mathematicians want to decide cannot be
>> decided by currently accepted mathematical methods?

>The latter.  He regards mathematical intuition as a developing
>phenomenona (this was part of the lecture).

Can I surmise that Kazhdan is unfamiliar with work in this direction?

>>...By the way, was
>> ZFC mentioned in either talk as the preferred vehicle for the foundations
>> of mathematics?

>...  I
>think not.  As you have pointed out, core mathematicians ignore ZFC,
>though usually force their students to take some set theory.  In fact, a
>well known core mathematician once berated ME for the Hebrew
>University's bad sense in hiring Fraenkel, while throwing Issai Schur to
>the dogs.

More evidence of the core mathematics community refusal to acknowledge
their appropriate share of the responsibility for supporting research in
f.o.m. and mathematical logic.

>...Meir Buzaglo, who has just
>finished a book on the subject of extending functions and concepts in
>mathematics, using model theoretic techniques.

I would like to hear more about this. Do you have any more info and/or