FOM: Completion of previous posting

JoeShipman@aol.com JoeShipman at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 00:42:02 EST 2000

This is a repost because my comments on the first paper, below, were cut
 off.  WARNING: When you send a post to FOM, do not repeat DO NOT include
 any text lines which consist of a single period.  They are interpreted
 by Steve Simpson's web server's stupid e-mail software as denoting "end
 of message" and all further content is truncated. -- JS

Thanks to Adrian Mathias for another excellent posting.  The Casacuberta,
Scevenfels and Smith paper "Implications of large-cardinal principles in
homotopical localization" can be downloaded at

 http://manwe.mat.uab.es/casac/vopenka.ps

 , and the Contents and first chapter of Woodin's new book "The Axiom of
 Determinacy, Forcing Axioms and the Nonstationary Ideal" is at

 http://www.degruyter.de/pdf/woodin.pdf

 I am especially interested in the first paper because

 1) Vopenka's Principle is one of my favorite large cardinal axioms, since it
is better motivated and easier to state than almost all of them
(inaccessibles and measurables are easier still, but I can't think of any
others that are easier).

 2) This is a use of large cardinals to settle an open problem in "ordinary
mathematics" (excluding logic, foundations, set theory).  Have there been any
other good examples of this since Solovay's work on real-valued measurables?
(I don't count Friedman's work because although its latest incarnation
certainly looks like "ordinary mathematics" it does not touch on any
questions that had previously been
 investigated and regarded as unsolved.)

 - Joe Shipman