FOM: Frege's Grundgesetze

G. Aldo Antonelli aldo at uci.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:18:03 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

As you may be aware, the partial English translation of Frege's
Grundgesetsze der Arithmetik as The Basic Laws of Arithmetic by
Montgomery Furth has been taken out print by the University of
California Press.  While one would perhaps like to have a more
extensive translation, the result is that one of Frege's greatest
works is not available, aside from excerpts in Beaney's The Frege
Reader, for scholarly or pedagogic uses.  (We are deprived as well of
Furth's excellent introductory essay.)  Moreover, used copies are
virtually unobtainable, as a glance at the internet book search
engines reveals.

As faculty members of the University of California, we are undertaking
an effort to convince the press to bring this book back into print, in
an affordable paperback edition.  To do this, however, we need your
help.  If you could take a few moments to send a message to us
attesting to the importance of Grundgesetze, as well as stating any
courses that you could envisage using it for, (please include
projected size), we will collate the responses and approach the press.
We hope that a substantial response will help the press see the
importance of keeping this book available.

Please send your messages to the following e-mail address:
grundgesetze at kleene.ss.uci.edu.

Please feel free to share this message with your colleagues.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Robert May
Professor of Linguistics & Philosophy
University of California, Irvine

Aldo Antonelli
Assistant Professor of Logic & Philosophy of Science
University of California, Irvine