FOM: Alternate histories for mathematical axioms

Kanovei kanovei at
Sat Apr 29 05:21:28 EDT 2000

>Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:47:23 -0400
>From: Joe Shipman <shipman at>

>The intuition of mathematicians has been influenced by historical
>factors.  I claim that if the history of physics and mathematics had
>been a little different, then FOM might be very different.

>Here is one case study.  Please suggest others!

There is a very hypothetical one, a civilization in
the vicinity of a cingular celestial body, with
quantum effects easily observable in everyday life
(whatever "day" be there). What can be a theory of
counting if objects of counting may disappear or
reappear in the process ?