FOM: Paradoxes and their role in the history of mathematics

Andrew Gray agray at commerce.otago.ac.nz
Fri Apr 28 07:16:30 EDT 2000

I have been thinking about how paradoxes have affected the history
of mathematics, either by motivating their ``resolution'' or
avoidance.  However there doesn't appear to be much literature on
the subject, or perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places.  If
anyone is aware of any published work that focuses on this
question, I would be grateful if they would let me know, via the list
or in private.  Either way I will post a summary of the relevant
material that I find.

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Department of Information Science, University of Otago
agray at infoscience.otago.ac.nz
phone: +64 3 479 8138 fax: +64 3 479 8311 icq: 63037855