FOM: Henkin semantics

John Mayberry J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 12:18:57 EST 1999

Two minor points
1.) Strictly speaking 2nd order logic with Henkin semantics is not the
same as the many-sorted 1st order theory that Steve Simpson has in
mind. In Henkin semantics the second order variables are constrained to
range over suitable subsets of their natural domains in full 2nd order
semantics. The theories are, however, equivalent in the sense of being
mutually interpretable.
2.)There is nothing to prevent our taking the very same axioms and
rules that are complete in the Henkin semantics as axioms and rules
in full 2nd order logic with standard semantics. It's just that they
won't be complete for that semantics. I think Joe Shipman has raised a
very interesting question in asking for a natural extension of those
axioms that would allow us to prove any formula which can be proved
valid in ZFC.

John Mayberry
J.P.Mayberry at bristol.ac.uk