FOM: wider cultural significance: ethnomathematics

John Baldwin jbaldwin at math.uic.edu
Fri Mar 12 09:20:52 EST 1999

I have lost my naive belief that no one could be as crazy as their
opponents say they are so there are probably some people espousing
the views Steve mentions.  However,  `ethnomathematics'
I have actually seen is more of a flavor of emphasing the mathematical
background of various cultures.  I did hear one lecture from a person
who had been developing a language for teaching modern (elementary)
mathematics in Maori.  There were then real issues as to whether
certain concepts had names in Maori.  The author was carefully
skating a line between philosophical assertions that I would find
as objectionable as Steve does and `just' talking about  linguistics.