FOM: wider cultural significance: polylogism

Pat Hayes phayes at
Mon Mar 8 12:32:07 EST 1999

Stephen Simpson writes:

>  2m. there are many different logics appropriate for different
>      aspects of mathematics (second-order logic? dynamic logic?
>      temporal logic?) or different f.o.m. programs (intuitionistic
>      logic?)
>  2w. there are many different logics pertaining to different branches
>      of science and scholarship (the logic of physics?  the logic of
>      law?) or to different groups of people (proletarian logic?
>      bourgois logic?  Aryan logic?  Jewish logic?)

The problem I always have in taking 'polylogism' seriously is when I wonder
what logic is supposed to be used when several topics are mixed together,
and to decide among the various different logics. Suppose Arthur and I are
discussing, say, the square root of the number of working-class Nazis that
would be suitable for a crowd scene in a movie, what logic do we use? And
suppose we discover (never mind how) that we are using different logics,
how can we resolve our differences?

Pat Hayes

IHMC, University of West Florida		(850)434 8903   home
11000 University Parkway			(850)474 2091   office
Pensacola,  FL 32514			(850)474 3023   fax
phayes at