FOM: wider cultural significance, part 1 (postmodernism)

gerald westerby, honourable schoolboy palma at poly.polytechnique.fr
Thu Mar 4 05:15:04 EST 1999

to all FOM, while I find Martin Davis' remarks perfectly on target, they
have very little to do with the foundations of mathematics (whether in the
graphic or the strictly propositional versions.)
On the other hand (I am in philosophy) it is not a bad practice for
anybody to provide evidence (in terms of proof) of the claims presented.
So when Simpson claims that Karl Marx was postmodernist (in his
understanding of the claim as equivalent to the denial of truth, tarskian,
guptian, popperian, lakatosian, or otherwise minimally interpreted) there
si no evidence whichsoever of the claim.
Two suggestions: while FOM is a subject challenging enough the
practitioners would benefit from applying the same standards of evidence
to other subjects (was Goedel a platonist? yes, see his papers and in
particular "Russell's mathematical logic" e.g;0_

was Marx "polylogicist"? well...... proof.????

second suggestion, let us try to stick to a civilized tone. Already in the
past several people told me in private that they were disgusted by the
idiotic level of backbiting and plain academic nastyness displayed by the
worshippers of the queen of sciences (that's math)

I cut much of the texts since they are too long and people already saw
then (I think yesterday)

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Questiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]