FOM: Nonmonotonic Reasoning & Posting Surgery

John Pais paisj at medicine.wustl.edu
Tue Jun 8 15:28:33 EDT 1999

Reasoning in ordinary language is fraught with reasoner-dependent
nonmonotonic consequence relations.  Here is a fun example (anonymous
author):

1. A man fell from a plane.

2. Fortunately, he was wearing a parachute.

3. Unfortunately, the parachute didn't open.

4. Fortunately, he fell from the plane at a low altitude over a large
haystack.

5. Unfortunately, there was a pitchfork in the haystack.

6. Fortunately, he missed the pitchfork.

7. Unfortunately, he missed the haystack.

8. ...

As we consistently expand our background information starting with 1,
there is a tendency to jump back and forth between opposite conclusions
regarding the ultimate fate of this skydiver.

This example helps one to see that when responding to a posting it is
important to avoid *contractions* of a posting that may destroy what was
intended by the original author, however well it may help one jump to
one's own intended conclusions and/or extensions. Through membership in
various lists, I've notice that some contributors very skilled in
predicate calculus reasoning, behave as if radical posting surgery was
just as monotonic. Before responding to a posting, in which I quote the
original poster,
I try to ask the question:

Suppose someone came upon *only* my Re: ... of (or my response to)
someone else's ..., does my Re: ... (or my response) fairly preserve the
intent of the original author or does it significantly distort the
original author's intent (e.g. as a consequence does it attribute a
position to the original author which he or she did not intend or may
find odious)?

*** Example 1 ***

             FOM: surreal numbers