FOM: Concerning the inquiry of Steve Stevenson

Prof. dr. D. van Dalen Dirk.vanDalen at phil.uu.nl
Wed Jul 14 18:11:49 EDT 1999

Brouwer's philosophy of mathematics is really part of his overall
philosophy, which  was expounded in his Vienna lectures and in the big post
war lecture "Consciousness, Philosophy and Mathematics".

I have tried to give a concise version of it in a couple of lectures and papers:

- D. van Dalen, "L.E.J.  Brouwer's Intuitionism: a revolution in two
installments". Proceedings Thirteenth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in
Computer Science. June 21-24, Indianapolis, IEEE Computer Science
1998, 228--241.

- D. van Dalen. The Development of Brouwer's Intuitionism. The Roskilde
Conference on the History of proof Theory. forthcoming 1999, Kluwer.

- D. van Dalen. Mystic, Geometer, and Intuitionist: The Life of L.E.J.
Brouwer. The dawning Revolution. Oxford University Press. 1999. vol. I
(various parts)

- D. van Dalen. The Intuitionistic Conception of Logic (Ed. A.C. Varzi.
European Review of Philosophy, 4, 1999, 45--78.)

- D. van Dalen, D. van. From a Brouwerian Point of View. Philosophia
Mathematica, 6, 1998, 209--226.

Prof . Dr. D. van Dalen
Department of Philosophy
P.O. Box  80.126