FOM: request for info

Stephen Cook sacook at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 12 16:23:31 EST 1999

In my 1975 STOC paper on PV I outlined a proof that the Godel sentence
for PV implies the consistency of PV.   (Buss proved in his PhD thesis
that S^1_2 is essentially a conservative extension of PV.)

Steve Cook

	   The equivalence of a Godel sentence for S and the statement
	 Con(S)  can be proved in either:  (for "reasonable systems" S)

	 	a) I-Delta_0+\Omega_1    (in a paper of Paris & Wilkie, see
	 				  also work of Ed Nelson)
	 or
	 	b) S^1_2	 (slightly later in my phd thesis).

	 As far as I know, these are the weakest systems in which the
	 G\"odel incompleteness theorem has been proved in an
	 manner which is *intensional* in the sense of Feferman.
	   If there are any other intensional proofs the second
	 incompleteness theorem in weak systems, I'd be interested
	 to hear about them.

	  --- Sam Buss

	 ------------
	 > Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:15:51 -0500 (EST)
	 > From: Neil Tennant <neilt at mercutio.cohums.ohio-state.edu>
	 > To: fom at math.psu.edu
	 > Subject: FOM: request for info> Cc: neilt at mercutio.cohums.ohio-state
	.edu

	 > Can anyone tell me what the weakest theory of arithmetic is within w
	hich
	 > one can formalize the argument for the equivalence of the G"odel-sen
	tencefor S with Con(S), where S contains Robinson's arithmetic R and S
	is a