FOM: Reverse Mathematics and GAPs_in_THE_CONTINUUM.

Alexander Zenkin alexzen at com2com.ru
Thu Aug 12 04:32:21 EDT 1999

At 10:31 AM 8/6/99 +0300, Karlis Podnieks FOM-wrote (among other
things):
>Hence, reverse mathematics seems to be a normal mathematical approach
to >some problems.

I agree with Karlis Podnieks.
In the science, there are two main processes of cognition:
A) to create a theory describing a set of given facts (in particular, to
construct a (minimal) axioms system which produces a set of given
statements, as today the reverse mathematics does it);
B) to produce (to deduce, to calculate, etc.) a set of new (theoretical)
facts from the given theory (in particular, to deduce a set of (formal)
statements from the given axioms system, as the modern meta-mathematics
does it ).
 In reality, we have the following uninterrupted dialectical process:
Facts = > Theory = > New Facts = > New Theory = > New Facts = > and so
on.
 Such the process is a usual way of a ScienceTheory development in
mathematics.
 We need in a New Theory every time when the existing (Old) Theory
becomes unsatisfactory in either certain sense.
I believe the appearance itself of the Harvey Friedman's and Stephen
Simpson's reverse mathematics is evidence of a dissatisfaction with the
modern meta-mathematics, since the reverse mathematics is an opposition
not to the really working, even pure, mathematics, but to the modern
axiomatic proof theory, i.e., just to the meta-mathematics. Therefore, I
consider the reverse mathematics as an opportune, useful and perspective
scientific direction.
 The famous Hilbert's program has failed not only thanks to the known
Geodel's theorems, but first of all because that program was trying to
formalize all the mathematics by means of the banishment of the
semantics of that mathematics from its (of the mathematics) formal
descriptions (recall the famous Hilbert's "semantic isomorphism" between
the words "point, line, plane" and the words "table, chair, beer mug").
But to rob the Mathematics of its semantics is much more dangerous than
"to ban boxers to use their fists". And I hope that new versions of a
formal proof theory-XXI will less negligently treat and more effectively
utilize that mathematics semantics. For example, as the modern
mathematics (mathematical modelling as a whole, Victor K.Finn's
quasi-axiomatic systems, and so on) is able to do that.

At 10:47 8/6/99, Martin Davis FOM-responded to Karlis Podnieks  (among
other things):

>To quote Jacobi: "Man muss immer umkehren". That is: One must always
invert.
> Perhaps a light touch will dispell some of the spurious melodrama seen
on the list these days!

 That short quotation defines the epistemological backgraound of the
situation best of all.
 I think the question (possibly, in its more wide aspect) is about the
most general "technologies" of the human-being's cognition (not only
about the mathematical one).
 As is known, a human-being cognizes any unknown things by virtue of
known things, viz
A) either by an analogy - a kind of a "short-range" cognition: a known
property of one thing is attributed to other ("resembling") thing;
B) or by an opposition (inversion) - a kind of a "long-range" cognition:
a negation (frequently, not very strong one) of a known property of one
thing is attributed to other ("opposite") thing.

 Of course, not all is so simple here from the point of view of the
formalization of these cognitive processes. Firstly, much dependes from
a choice of a concrete property (in the both cases A and B), and,
secondly, - from a "degree" of the inversion of a choiced property (in
the case B).
 I would like to illustrate that "technologies" by the two, quite
unusual examples.

 FIRST EXAMPLE. Consider the property (operation) "multiplication". What
a property (operation) will be an inverted one? - Obviously, the
property (operation) "division" from the common arithmetics point of
view.
 As is known, the Eratosthenes' sieve may be called as the
MULTIPLICATIVE sieve since the corresponding algorithm allows to divide
the set of all natural numbers into two subsets: the set of prime
numbers and the set of all possible PRODUCTs of prime numbers. That is
such the partition is defined by the property (operation)
"multiplication". Now, whether anybody can imagine a like algorithm
defined by the property (operation) "division"? - I think, it will be
not easy, if any.
 But if we replace the property (operation) "multiplication" by its more
soft opposition (the case B), viz by the property (operation)
"addition", we obtain an ADDITIVE Eratosthenes' sieve with the same,
almost "word-for-word" algorithm (the case A) allowing to divide the set
of all natural numbers into two subsets: a set of so-called ADDITIVE
PRIME numbers and a set of all possible SUMs of elements from some given
basic subset of natural numbers.
 As it was shown, the main problems of Classical Additive Number Theory
(for example, such as Fermate's, Goldbach's, Waring's problems, etc.)
can be formulated in a framework of the ADDITIVE Eratosthenes' sieve. A
lot of new number-theoretical results were really obtained by means of
that ADDITIVE Eratosthenes' sieve basing on the Super-Induction method
and EA-Theorems. {More details and references are presented in my
[HM]-message: