FOM: Re: comments on RT2 paper

Peter Cholak cholak at nd.edu
Fri Oct 23 10:41:07 EDT 1998

This makes sense.  In fact, Stan Wainer and various others have a whole
sequence of results which show certain functions are provability total in
ISigma_n. I believe that they have an characterization of such functions.

What I do not know is if a theory proves the Ackermann function is total
must it show ISigma_2?  Clearly it is strongly than RCA_0 but how much
strong must it be?