FOM: Sz MAndelbrojt and Bourbaki

Adrian Mathias amathias at rasputin.uniandes.edu.co
Wed Oct 14 12:51:51 EDT 1998

I have passed the challenges (to the suggestion that Mandelbrojt
was kept out of university positions by Bourbaki) back down the
pipeline to my source and have received the following clarification.
(The original statement was in another language and was probably
misunderstood by me)

> No, this is not what I said.  What I was told is that he (SM) had been
> kept out of the Academie des Sciences until the very end of his
> mathematical life by the Bourbaki lobby, while many other mathematicians
> of arguably less stature than his got quite easily into the Academy.

Comments welcome

ARDM