FOM: Platonism and social constructivism

Charles Silver csilver at sophia.smith.edu
Wed Mar 25 20:52:30 EST 1998

	This is (hopefully) my last post on Hersh's views.  I am
responding to Harvey's request to provide a short summary.  Here it is:

	Hersh looks at the social-cultural-historical facts pertaining to
mathematical discoveries and practices, and he then concludes that
mathematics is itself concerned with social-cultural-historical objects.
In my view, this is a confusion.  I have claimed he commits a kind of
use-mention error, but I now think it is more properly a species of the
"genetic fallacy" (confusing the origins of math with what makes it true).

Charlie Silver