FOM: Friedman's independence results, an epochal f.o.m. advance

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Sat Mar 14 05:05:53 EST 1998

  The comments by Bill Tait and Martin Davis in response to my remarks
on Friedman's work are entirely reasonable, and I see no scope for any
adversarial exchanges on this topic. However, my little piece may
perhaps serve as a reminder that the best way to make people aware
that an epochal advance has been made is not to underline that it is
an epochal advance, but to patiently present and explain the work in
such a way as to allow those qualified to judge (although not
necessarily experts in the field) to arrive at this conclusion for
themselves.

---
Torkel Franzen