FOM: The issue of realism in mathematics

wtait@ix.netcom.com wtait at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 28 23:21:57 EST 1998

I thought I might mention a paper that I wrote some time ago, in which I
discussed some of the issues that are coming up now in FOM postings:
"Truth and proof: The Platonism of mathematics", _Synthese 69,
1986:341-408. I intended ``Platonism'' to be in scare quotes, but I'm a
bad proof-reader. It is an old paper and would have been improved by the
discussion on FOM; but, without having read it through recently, I'm sure
I remain convinced of its central points.

Bill Tait