FOM: Picturing categorical set theory

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 22 04:33:14 EST 1998

Charlie Silver writes 10:28 1/22/98:

>What I'm looking for is a development of category theory, or
>perhaps topos theory, that is based on some underlying *conception*.

Hopeless. As foundations of mathematics, it is conceptually completely
incoherent. Proponents are zealots who want to hide this from you in the
worst way. As technical mathematics, some of it, in moderate doses only,
has limited and respected uses - it helps with the formulation of
appropriate generalizations, and cleans up some proofs.