FOM: Clarification re my response to Riis' question

Solomon Feferman sf at Csli.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 13 19:05:46 EST 1998

I did not mean to imply that there is such a thing as the Kreiselian
school, nor that MacIntyre and van den Dries, among others, should be
identified as members of that school (if such exists), nor did I mean to
impute any psychological reasons for the views concerning logic vis a vis
"pure" mathematics of the followers of that school, other than those of
its supposed leader.  Aside from that, I can well understand the
attractions of "pure" mathematics, and the satisfaction that a number of
logicians get in relating their work to it in significant ways, without
demeaning logic per se.

Sol Feferman