FOM: Re: Hersh/Rota/Feferman/Lakatos

Reuben Hersh rhersh at math.unm.edu
Fri Jan 2 20:04:49 EST 1998

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Robert S Tragesser wrote:

> ABSTRACT: A sketch of the origins of mathematics that
> explains what is distinctive about mathematical knowledge
> but does not essentially depend on a reference to
> traditional mathematicals (such as numbers).   This
> explanation explains why mathematical experience
> supports Platonism but also why Platonism can likely be
> never more than a regulative idea(l).
>         Feferman's questions about the distinctiveness of
> mathematical thought are put to Hersh/Lakatos,  and
> answered via Rota's phenomenological thinking,  and
> answered in a way without undercutting the phenomena
> which fund Platonism,  but which at the same time reveal
> the extreme difficulties in sustaining Platonism as anything
> more than a regulative idea(l). [End of Abstract.]
>
>         I've been enjoying Hersh's _What is Mathematics,
> Really?_  I think that Reuben Hersh is importantly
> correcting the course of the philosophy of mathematics,
> but at the same time he _over-corrects_ it.
>         How should the over-correction be itself corrected?
>         Hersh and Lakatos stand in need of such correction,
> and in need of the very same correction -- they both overly
> collapse -- in a phenomenologically undiscerning way --
> uses of 'certainty' (and its "cognates").
>         I've been writing a long review essay on the
> phenomenological studies of mathematical thought in
> Gian-Carlo Rota's _Indiscrete Thoughts_.   It is worth
> observing that,  although Rota and Hersh,  through
> forewards and dust-jacket copy,  strongly applaud one
> another's (philosophical) work,  Rota's phenomenological
> appreciation of mathematical proof and mathematical
> understanding provides the needed correction to Hersh's
> course.
>         I want to try to explain this here,  and do so in a way
> that points to some answers to questions raised by Sol
> Feferman.
>         In a recent FOM posting,  Cook asked Hersh how
> mathematics is distinguished from other "academic
> subjects".   Hersh answered that mathematics was one of
> the "humanities" (because it is entirely a human product)
> and is distinguished among the humanities by being about
> mathematicals.

	No.  NO!  Please let me repeat my answer here (though in somewhat
	different words because I am thinking, not copying.)

	Here is my answer:  mathematics is both one of the humanities
	and one of the sciences.  It is that humanity which is
	scientific, and it is that science which is humanistic.

	Its subject matter, mathematical concepts and objects, are
	like novels, symphonies, Constitutions, and ideologies--human
	creations,  part of human culture.  But they are different from
	the other humanities in being science-like.  Science is said to be
	distinguished from non-science by possessing reproducible results,
	which means high degree
	of consensus.  Mathematics, even more than any other science,
	possesses reproducible results, so in this repect it is the most
	science-like of sciences.  We prove the Pythagorean theorem,
	no only by rereading it in Euclid, but remarkably by finding other,
	independent,
	unrelated proofs.  And of course mathematical calculations
	get the same result by means of independdent calculations.  When,
	rarely a discrepancy appears, it is always straightened out quickly.

	This answer does not refer to "mathematicals", or "what mathematicians
	do."  The traditional definitions of math said it was about number
	and geometric figure.  Such definitions are obviously no longer
	tenable.  Mathematical logic is an excellent example of
	mathematics which is not about any of the traditional "mathematicals!"
	Mathematics can be about anything, as long as its
	subject matter is immaterial (not a natural science) and as long as
	it attains an extremely high degree of reproducibility and consesus.
	If a new field appears tomorrow which satisfies those
`	two critieria, everybody will recognize it as mathematical.

>         In his review of Lakatos,  Sol Feferman asked a series
> of questions -- one close to that of Cook's -- which we,
> qua phenomenological Rota,  put to Hersh (but don't wait
> around for his answer), --
>
> FEFERMAN'S QUESTIONS:
>         [1] What is distinctive about mathematics?
> _i.e._,
>         [2] What is distinctive about its verification structure?
>         [3] What is distinctive about its conceptual content?
> The absolutely important _necessary condition_ for giving
> a good answer to these questions:
>         Necessary Condition:  They must allow us to
> characterize mathematics in a way that is independent of
> the kind of appeal Hersh makes,  viz.,  that mathematics
> studies the mathematicals (studies what mathematicians
> study).

	FALSE!  MISQUOTATION!  WRONG!  I DO NOTHING OF THE KIND!

  It is exactly by evading this issue that Hersh misses
> the distinctive features of the verification structure of
> mathematics (or:  is able to play a bit too much of the old
> fast and loose with it).

	WHAT FAST AND LOOSE?  YOU CAN'T MAKE THAT KIND
	OF ACCUSATION (OR IS JUST AN INSINUATION?) WITHOUT
	BACKING IT UP WITH CHAPTER AND VERSE.  IF I'M
	REALLY FAST AND LOOSE, SHOW ME AND I'LL TIGHTEN UP
	AND SLOW DOWN.  BUT DON'T JUST SAY IT WITHOUT ANY
	BACK UP AT ALL.