FOM: Comments on a paper by Hartry Field

Martin Schlottmann martin_schlottmann at
Wed Feb 25 19:36:17 EST 1998

Torkel Franzen wrote:
>   In short, my conclusion regarding (i) is that Field hasn't actually
> exhibited any "practices" that "give determinate content" to
> "finitely many" on the assumption that (A) holds. (This doesn't mean
> that I take the view that there is anything indeterminate about
> "finitely many". On the contrary, I would argue that "finitely many"
> isn't indeterminate at all.)

What, exactly, is this reasoning of yours which leads to
the determinate content of "finitely many"?

Martin Schlottmann <martin_schlottmann at>

Department of Mathematical Sciences, CAB 583
University of Alberta, Edmonton AB T6G 2G1, Canada