FOM: Reply to Detlefsen on Consistency-Completeness

Shipman, Joe x2845 shipman at bny18.bloomberg.com
Wed Feb 11 10:20:31 EST 1998

Dear Mic,
I was not claiming that PA was omega-inconsistent!  Rather, I was trying to
come as close as possible to a *mathematically formalizable* version
of your query.  You admit there seems to be a difficulty in
formalizing it without trivializing it in some way, and I agree that this is an
interesting philosophical issue, but some of us don't see a way to
make your query less vague without making it formalizable.  Can you
please clarify whether there are any technical questions you are
trying to resolve (by providing a formalizable statement of them)?
If the technical situation is clear to you and your query is purely philosophical
that is OK, Ph.o'M is not out of place on F.o'M, but at least those
of us less comfortable with unformalizable questions can safely
ignore it.

Joe Shipman