FOM: Does it matter?

Yablo Stephen Joseph yablo at umich.edu
Thu Apr 23 13:48:57 EDT 1998

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Joseph Shoenfield wrote:

>     When I was a youth, I was somewhat interested in the mind-matter
> problem; but it was finally settled for me by the immortal answer:
> never mind, it doesn't matter.    (Does anyone know the author of
> this remark?)

Bertrand Russell attributes to his grandmother the saying "what is mind?
no matter; what is matter? never mind."  I don't know that he thinks it
was original with her!  His comment (not an exact quote): "after two
or three hundred repetitions this remark ceased to amuse me."

Steve Yablo
Philosophy, U of Michigan