Marker/Simpson correspondence on foundations

Stephen G Simpson simpson at math.psu.edu
Thu Sep 25 21:33:05 EDT 1997

OK everybody, here is the famous or infamous Marker/Simpson
correspondence.  In part it is a discussion of the significance of
recent research on the incompleteness phenomenon and applied model
theory.  There is also a discussion of broader issues: what is
foundations of mathematics, should mathematicians be interested in
foundations, technique versus subject matter, etc.

A couple of comments about this Marker/Simpson correspondence:

1. It took place in December 1995 -- a lot longer ago than I had
thought!  Time flies.

2. These are unedited e-mail messages rather than well thought out and
edited opinion papers; also, they were written in 1995, before Harvey
circulated his long-awaited manuscript in summer 1996.

-- Steve Simpson