FOM: Steve's barber; Lou on Faltings' theorem

Lou van den Dries vddries at math.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:03:10 EST 1997

Sorry, I didn't promise to explicate the general intellectual
interest of Faltings' theorem and such, I just (as a mental exercise
of some sort) want to come up with an equivalent version of it
stated in terms of "highschool algebra in the sense of Abhyankar".

And i'd like to point out that rather than being "congenitally
incapable of grasping certain meanings", some people might actually
have radically different ideas about issues of supposed
foundational or general intellectual interest. -Lou van den Dries-