foundations of mathematics

Lou van den Dries vddries at math.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 1 21:02:07 EDT 1997

Just a quick reaction to Steve's latest message:

I don't think Atyiah and Horgan should be mentioned in the same breath.
One of them knows what he is talking about.

Cohomology: this has to do with the very broad issue of passing from
local information to global, and measuring the obstructions. It's
potentially not that far removed from the most basic mathematical
concepts. And it is quite imaginable to me that it could have a
very wide intellectual impact.

On rereading, my excuses for the misspelling of Atiyah.

-Lou-