FOM: Finite AC?

Karlis Podnieks podnieks at cclu.lv
Tue Dec 23 02:02:53 EST 1997

KP> Reading FOM archives...

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:02:13 -0700
From: remmel at kleene.ucsd.edu (Jeff Remmel)
that undecidability results appear naturally in mathematics.
This
is very much what Harvey is trying to do with his results which
show that results which require large cardinals can occur in
setting that most mathematicians would consider as natural.

KP> How should we formulate the "finite version" of AC? As P=NP?
(Sorry, if my question  has been already discussed.)

Affiliation statement: Karlis Podnieks (49), Dr.Math. (smth.
like Ph.D) since 1979, currently working in computer science
(business process modeling languages and tool design). For many
years I am teaching  computer science students in "Mathematical
Logic" and "Database Fundamentals". My 15 year old contribution
to the FOM area "Platonism, Intuition and the Nature of
Mathematics" (presented on my home page) is somewhat
non-traditional and never was widely accepted.

Best wishes,
K.Podnieks
podnieks at cclu.lv
http://sisenis.com.latnet.lv/~podnieks/
University of Latvia
Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science
Rainis boulevard 29, Riga, LV-1459, Latvia