FOM: Re: 11:F.O.M. & Math Logic

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Sun Dec 14 08:50:23 EST 1997

Barwise quotes from me (5:47AM  12/14/97):

And then writes:

>We agree for once!

Well, our disagreements included

a) the status of nonstandard analysis and infinitesimals;
b) the status of first order predicate calculus and the usual set theoretic
foundations of mathematics.

I think that if we had the energy to continue the debate systematically,
getting down to the least common denominator of disagreement - which may be
more fundamental than it appears on the surface - we could also come to an
appropriate agreement. This would certainly be better than the pervasive
code of silence that so many of our colleagues adhere to. Even our little
bit of arguing is already better than the code of silence!

Incidentally, there is a bad typo in 11:F.O.M. & Math Logic. In the
pragraph beginning with "Thus the distinction..." replace "the latter" with
"the former."