V22.0004 Computers in Principle
9 (Excel #3)
Assignment 9 -- Mailmerge
Your web page is now good enough that you want to let your friends and relatives
know that it is there.
1)Make a "Contacts List," which is a
database of a few friends and people that you know.
- You should use an Excel spreadsheet as the database.
- Your database should have at least the following fields:
- It can have more fields if you like.
- Add a few records, using friends and relatives as the entries, or simply
making up some reasonable entries. An example might be:
- Of course, leave blank any fields that you do not know.
- Use macros to sort the data.
2) Next, use the Mail Merge tool to make a form letter that you could send
to a number of friends.
The letter should be addressed to each contact, have a
"Dear FirstName" line (where FirstName is a MailMerge Field),
and should give the address of your web site. (In newer versions of Microsoft
Word, you can make the "http:" address into a hyperlink, which
is a useful thing to do if you are going to email the document to your
- When you open the data source for the Mailmerge, be sure to use both the
Excel file name and to specify the correct Sheet.
3) Then Merge the document to create the merged form letter, and print out
two (only two) instances of the letter, to your first two friends.
4) Send the following three files as email attachments to
grader email account:
The Original Excel Data base which includes the macros
and the toolbar
The Word Form Letter
The Word Merged Letters
For your convenience, here are the email addresses for assignment submission
for the various sections: